Geography is the study of people, places and environments throughout the world. It develops an understanding of the human and natural world, maps, and a range of investigative and problem-solving skills.
Through geographical enquiry children can learn to evaluate the world around them. The study of geography enables children to understand local, national and international issues by studying the socio-economic and geographical aspects of various contrasting localities. It offers children the opportunity to engage in field work activities and to consider how their own actions may have an impact on the environment.
Our intent is to inspire children’s curiosity and interest to explore the world that we live in and its people, which aims to ignite a love of learning. We intend to equip children with geographical skills to develop their knowledge through studying places, people and natural and human environments. Through our teaching, we intend to provoke thought, questions and to encourage children to discover answers to their own questions through exploration and research to enable them to gain a greater understanding and knowledge of the world and their place in it.
Our Aims and Objectives
Geography teaching offers opportunities to:
- stimulate pupils’ interest in their own surroundings and other localities, both in the United Kingdom and the rest of the world.
- give pupils the opportunities to make observations and to form opinions about their immediate environment and other localities.
- understand how physical features such as climate, rivers, and volcanoes affect the lifestyles of different peoples throughout the world.
- foster pupils’ sense of wonder at the beauty of the world around them.
- develop an understanding of the relationship between people and the environment and how people’s actions affect the quality of the environment.
- enhance the pupils’ sense of responsibility with regard to caring for the Earth.
- develop an awareness and appreciation of cultural and economic diversity.
- acquire and develop skills necessary for making geographical enquiries.